Time-scaled logic diagrams (TSLD) are typically required by NAVFAC and USACE contracts for baseline and monthly update schedules. Primavera P6 incorporates TSLD in versions 8.3 through 17+ and can be difficult to navigate. In Primavera P6 software package, TSLD can be referred to as a network diagram or activity network. A TSLD is a graphical representation, similar to a Gantt chart, to show activity information and logic over a timescale. In this blog, we will walk through the steps to create and print a time-scaled logic diagram.
1. After opening the project, click on View, and then scroll down to Activity Network. Activity network will remove the details and Gantt chart view from the top view. The bottom view will remain the same.
2. Once the TSLD window is open, it is best to change Page Layout and Page Size. Click on File in the toolbar and scroll down to Page Setup. In the page setup dialog box, choose Paper Size as ANSI D. If you don’t have this option, you will need to change the printer in the Print Setup dialog box. The best printer option for a TSLD is a pdf writer instead of a physical printer or plotter, since TSLDs are typically very large. After choosing the paper size, you can also format the header and footer here.
3. Once you have chosen the paper size and customized the header and footer, click on View in the toolbar and scroll down to Activity Network Options. The Activity Network Option dialog will appear, displaying what information is set as default to be displayed in the graphical box.
4. At the bottom of the Activity Box Template tab are two options to customize the Activity Box. The Font and Colors options will change the color of the box and font size of the text displayed in the Activity Box. The Box Template allows for customization based on NAVFAC and USACE requirements.
5. Box Template
a. Field name is a drop-down menu of the options to include the display activity box.
b. Width can be increased or reduced by percentages to allow for more than one field name to be displayed per line. Each line should equal 100%
c. Height of each field box can be set from 1 through 10 lines
d. Total width will change the width of the Activity Box
e. To add a field box choose Add on the right side of the dialog box and use Shift up and Shift down to move the box to the desired location
f. Once the template is finalized, click OK
6. Activity Network Layout tab will give options to change the organization of the TSLD. Many of these options are for user preferences and NAVFAC and USACE does not specify requirements in this option box. Once completed, click OK and return to Activity Network Options.
7. After customizing the Activity Box and Layout, click OK.
8. If your TSLD is displayed in a zoomed-out fashion and is illegible, do not be concerned. The larger the schedule file the smaller the activity boxes and logic will be displayed on the screen. To see what the TSLD would look like before printing, use the Print Preview option in the File drop-down in the toolbar to view the printout.
9. As a tip, do not Group by WBS or have any filters selected. A TSLD typically is not grouped or filtered unless specified in contract documents.
BuildingPoint Pacific’s (BPP) team of professional schedulers has been supporting owners, general contractors, construction managers, and superintendents since 1998. Scheduling support services are provided for all phases of a project’s lifecycle with knowledge of various scheduling methods (including Flowline, CPM, PERT, and Pull Planning) to support our customers’ needs. BPP has provided the following services to ENRs Top 400 and small contractors:
BPP's team of schedulers use the latest scheduling program management software packages including:
- Baseline schedule development
- Schedule Review and Analysis
- Schedule update
- Time Impact Analysis (TIM)
- Resource and Cost Loading
- Schedule Comparison
- Claims and Mitigations
- Schedule Optimization
- Reporting and Dashboard
- Forensic Analysis
- 4D Simulations
- Pull Planning
- Vico VDC/4D BIM scheduling
- Primavera P6 PPM/EPPM
- Synchro VDC/4D scheduling
- Microsoft Project
For more information about how BuildingPoint Pacific can assist you, please contact us at email@example.com